Tuesday, August 28, 2007

finally a diagnosis

So for the past 4 years- yes i did say years- some of my doctors have thought that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome- and then some didn't. Some believe you have to have cysts in order to have it- some think you just need symptoms of it- some think you need blood tests to confirm it.

Finally my doctor believes I have it 100%. My symptoms prove it, my blood proves it... who cares about my ovaries...she does-- but thankfully there are no cysts to be seen

so what does this mean?

well..focusing on the positive--- my doctor is almost 100% sure it's why I can't lose any weight no matter what I do-- and I mean no matter what--- I exercise daily, I eat healthy, I do everything that they say to do--and yet instead of weight coming off it comes on. So this is somewhat of a validation that I am not crazy- nor is something drastically wrong. It screws with your metabolism as well as insulin resistance.

it also could lead to type 2 diabetes, hair in unwanted places, acne, and for me the biggest concern-- it sometimes also suggests infertility- or at least issues getting pregnant.

considering i have never really tried to get pregnant I suppose I shouldn't worry about it-- but honestly-- that one thing scares me more than anything. The one thing I have always said I wanted in life is a child and no matter what I will have one- adoption or other means. But I hope it doesn't speak badly of me that I would just like to have one the somewhat traditional way. No offense I hope to anyone. I have always said I want to adopt-- but is it so wrong of me to just want to have one biologically.

I know this is all putting the cart before the horse... who knows I might have no issues whatsoever. Most indications point to the fact that the symptoms that also lead to symptoms of infertility are ones that I don't have.

in the meantime ther is a major sort of decision to be made. My doctor wants to put me on Metformin. The more I read the more it scares me a little that the side effects are so unpleasant... i am going back and forth on it.... anyone out there have any experience with this????

No comments: