Wednesday, July 26, 2006

what's in a name

a lot of people ask me about my name.... it's something i have grown into as i have gotten older but that was not always the case-- nor does it not come without some funny stories. c. reminded me of one of the funnier ones last night-- but maybe first i should explain where my name came from.

originally i was supposed to be sarah jane-- those people who know me personally know that i don't think i would ever really be considered a sarah. luckily my mother's good friend named her daughter sarah jane about 3 weeks before i was born-- so my parents could not use the name. unfortunately they were out of ideas and decided they should let their 4 year old son choose a name. he came up with brian william for a boy but they still couldn't figure out what to name a girl. then they went out for an infamous dinner one night. kevin (my brother) totally bonded with their waiter and decided that he didn't care if it was a boy's name- his little sister would be named kyle (side note-- if i was a boy i would still be named brian-- totally weird). my parents decided they would take a form of sarah for my middle name- so here i am kyle sarena m.

now having a boy's name in life is sometimes interesting and entertaining-- the invitations to join the seminary- the fact that i lived in hand me downs when i was really little and was bald till i was 3 and had a boys name also was fun at times. but i think the best incident happened a few years ago

it was while john was sick- he was finally home from the hospital and his catheter had been removed- we were thrilled. we had a shot of having a sex life. my prescription for the pill had lapsed while he was sick so i had called in to get it refilled. i walked down to the medical offices where the pharmacy was on my lunch break one day with my friend dana. we get up to the counter- i ask for my prescription- the girl types it into the computer- gives me a look- asks for my insurance card and license and then goes to speak to the pharmacist. he looks at me looks at the computer-- back at me-- meanwhile a long line had formed behind us full of very elderly people. they both come back out to us and the girl says to me, " how much do you normally pay for your prescription?" i told her $10 a month so $30 for the three months. she then says, "i am sorry to ask you this but have you had a sex change operation in the past month?!!" i was floored- i said no- do i look like i have-- and she said no- that is why there is confusion- the insurance company is refusing to pay for hormones because they think you are a guy and it is against policy for them to pay for any prescriptions leading up to or as follow up to a sex change surgery. i was completely mortified!!! they didn't give me the prescription that day- i had to go back and fight it out with insurance- and the elderly people in line behind us were seriously snickering or turning red. it was one of the funniest experiences but also one of the most embarassing moments of my life.

the lesson in this-- never let your 4 year old name your next child-- but if you do-- make sure that the younger child has a good sense of humor to get them through life

1 comment:

Alicia said...

That has to be one of the funniest stories I've ever heard!

My naming story is similar... My sister was 7 when I was born, and she wanted to name me Alice, after Alice in Wonderland. My mother hated that name and chose the Spanish form, Alicia, instead. That's the family legend, anyway.

My sister was named after BOTH grandmothers. My brother was III in the familial line. My mother insists that she CHOSE my name, since she had virtually no say in the naming of the first two. She chose Alicia because it is from the Greek word for truth, and I think the name suits me.

-- Pentha, which is short for the Greek word for She Who Mourns