Thursday, March 22, 2007

friends unexpected

I have often said in real life that i could write a book about my travels on the MBTA, the buses that I take every day to get to work and home. Between the smelly people, and the ones that get way too close, the wonderful language that the teenagers use shouting down the bus and the number of accidents, breakdowns, and even police pullovers that have happened it's never a dull moment.

At the same time I have met some wonderful people. For 3 years I took the same bus at the same time every day. There were a bunch of us that always spoke to each other, we got to know each other pretty well. Bill the banker, Krista the tech, Meg the student and me. We started to go out about once a month after work with our significant others. This was back when I was dating John. We would all go out. And I must admit that we had a great time, but that people in the restaurant must have wondered about us. Bill is in his fifties and would bring his daughter who was a tween, Krista was in her forties, and me and Meg were in our twenties. Actually Meg got engaged the same weekend me and John did. So there we were, and after John got sick these 3 people held me together every morning. Meg was in nursing school and could explain some stuff I didn't understand. Krista worked at the hospital John was in and could check on him when I couldn't be there. Bill's sister had just gone through the same battle and he supported my emotions and helped me prepare for what could be next. And then John died. He died on a Saturday, on Tuesday I had a card in my mail from a return address that I didn't know and from a name I didn't recognize. The card just said, "It sucks. I know. I'm here when you need me." No name on the inside. It was a big mystery and I just couldn't figure out who this card was from. I moved. I stopped taking that bus. One day I ran into Bill at CVS and he was carrying his briefcase with his initials embossed. It was then that I knew exactly who that card was from. Bill is his middle name.

Since then I see Krista and Bill every once in awhile. Meg has moved but we still email. I ran into Krista the other day and hugged her till I couldn't anymore. She has had a rough road in front of her and I haven't seen her in awhile but it was like no time had passed at all.

Now i have new friends on my new bus. Jess and Scott. Jess and I go out about once a week. We talk about our boys. We gripe about our jobs. We cry together sometimes. Her mother was run over 2 years ago. I know what she is talking about when she is having a bad day- she knows where I am coming from when I have one. Scott is kinda like a big brother figure-- checks in-- makes sure our men are treating us well, makes sure we are behaving. Very much appreciated.

For as much time as I have spent on busses and for as many freaks and weird occurences that have happened I don't think I would trade it for driving by myself in a car every day. These people that I have met have been unexpected but so welcome. SO the next time you are on a bus or a train please say hello- you never know who is sitting next to you--- unless of course the person tries to grope you- then change seats as quick as possible! yes, a story for another day.

No comments: