Monday, February 19, 2007

don't judge a book

I have a great passion for reading- developed at an early age by my parents- two teachers if I have never mentioned that before. Growing up I used to read a book a day- I had to- that was the rule in our house. Even now because of the large amount of my life spent on public transportation I read about a book every other day.

For most normal people this would mean getting a library card. I however have a problem with libraries. Somehow I never remember to return the books- causing a great fear in me that I am on the most wanted posters in libraries and won't be allowed through the doors without alarms going off and security guards rushing me.

So in having this problem it has caused me to spend an inordinate amount of money at b&n. Like more money than I pay in rent. It was a sad state of affairs. But then I discovered this. A service like netflix but for books. I figure this will save me enough money that I should have that downpayment on the house in no time ;)

I took a look at my list today as I just returned 2 books and will be receiving 2 more this week. I always have 4 out at a time. But in looking at my list i am realizing how eclectic my tastes are. I have a fair amount of chick lit on there- because most of the time i like to read frivolous stuff. But then I have some poly sci books, some psychology books, some classics. I'm all over the map.

The book I am reading now- which I suggest everybody at some point in their lives read one of his books is by Jonathon Kozol- a sociologist that did most of his studies in poverty and its effects on children and society in general. Currently I am reading Rachel and Her Children, but the first book I read by him was first semester freshman year in college- Amazing Grace. This book literally changed my life. I was in college as a chemistry major but after reading this book changed my major to Political Science with the hopes o one day working to change this society. Hopefully one day that will happen- in the meantime once a year I read this book to remind me of how life is for some people, how lucky I was to grow up the way I did. How lucky I am to be able to read it in the first place. If you have a chance pick it up. It's so worth the time it will take you to read it. It will change your life- I guarantee it.

Amazing what the power of the written word can do. Sometimes I take that for granted. Off to turn off the tv and do some reading.

1 comment:

Alicia said...

I'm struck by one thing: Everyone who has copied from my blog (can't speak for those who have copied from others) has gone without food for 5 days. I thought that I would be considered a freak, or at least a religious zealot.

Fascinating, don't you think? But I guess it makes sense that the people who follow my blog feel in synch with me somehow.

Hugs to you, dear.